The Queen of Kitchen Disasters

As much as I love to cook and bake, I'm lazy and I'm horrid at following recipes. Together with my natural capability of clumsiness and inability of handling anything sharp, it's the perfect recipe for ... disasters.

Friday, January 20, 2006

the making of kueh lapis ...

it's actually not too bad ... though the fact that the recipe required me to whip egg whites and fold into the butter mixture was quite intimidating ... i've actually never ... NEVER ... done egg white before ... and to fold it in ... that's even worse ... i dun actually recall having to fold anything into a mixture before either ...

anyway i had 2 mixers ... and i decided to use my smaller one for the egg whites. it's plastic bowl so i had to take extra precautions ... cleaning and cleaning and cleaning ... making sure there's no speck of oil on the beaters or on the bowl ... and remember that i should only add the sugar after the egg whites look satiny or glossy (which by the way i can't really tell the difference!) i managed to make it!


the fact it's taking me slightly more than 3 hours doesn't mean that i'm making really many many layers ... i made a boo-boo ... i thought my scoop was small, so for every layer i made it 2.5 scoops ... so it's now a 6 layer kueh =P

it's now baking away in my oven ... hopefully it will turn out nice ... it's 20 egg yolks for goodness sake! here's a pic for you to drool over ...




more pics up later ... now i have sore arms and BACK ...

and i still want to make sugee biscuits tomorrow ... *howwwwww*

3 Comments:

At 4:48 PM, January 20, 2006, Blogger inez said...

Please please update with your recipe soon!

 
At 5:02 PM, January 20, 2006, Blogger Kathy Lim said...

hi gal, u are so great!!!! teach me if you can

 
At 5:32 PM, January 20, 2006, Blogger muminthemaking said...

<-- dun qualify to teach ... just happy to share my disasters so you won't repeat my mistakes hahaha

we will know in ... 2 days time if my kueh is really cooked and taste good or not ;P i had uncooked fruitcake aging away in my fridge for 1 month ... so disappointing to throw away the whole thing later!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home