The Queen of Kitchen Disasters

As much as I love to cook and bake, I'm lazy and I'm horrid at following recipes. Together with my natural capability of clumsiness and inability of handling anything sharp, it's the perfect recipe for ... disasters.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

*yawnz*

I finally finished making the pineapple paste at about 1:30am … will post up the pics later … right now just trying to keep my eyes open!

A few additional tips for making the paste:
1. When frying the paste, the perceived wetness of the paste is different when it’s hot and when it has cooled down. So stop when you are not sure, otherwise if the paste is too dry, it’s not very nice.


Note: If it has plenty of liquid still, it's NOT done yet ,,, back to the work for you unfortunately ... will try to post up the pics later ... was fast asleep last night - too tired to blog.

This has been cooked till sticky but still it's too wet ... the liquid in the center appeared in the paste the next morning i popped it inside the fridge. So I microwaved it on low heat for 20 minutes to dry it up a bit, stirred it well and back to the fridge for another session. This pic taken is of my 3rd batch (i went to buy 3 more pineapples!).

2. If it’s still too wet when it has cooled down, spread it on a flat plate and pop it overnight in the fridge to dry it somewhat. Then store into a covered container to prevent any further loss of moisture.

3. My sister was telling me that when using unripe pineapples, it leaves a “cutting” taste on the tongue. Hence the need to cook it longer over the stove, but I was really too sleepy to cook it over a low flame. If you have sensitive skin, do take note. My hands were itching after cleaning and cutting the pineapples.

Additional tip: When rolling the paste into balls for the tarts, wet your hands first. It’s much easier to roll into balls as the jam doesn’t stick to your wet hands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home