The Queen of Kitchen Disasters

As much as I love to cook and bake, I'm lazy and I'm horrid at following recipes. Together with my natural capability of clumsiness and inability of handling anything sharp, it's the perfect recipe for ... disasters.

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Smell the New Year ... Resolutions!

After 10 years of ... er ... sleeping, I've decided to make a "come back" to my few real passions in life - Baking.

One of my resolution for the new year was to document down all the yummy food I have been eating at my mother's house for all these years (my ma jie is the actual cook, and my mum is the actual baker). I want to keep an archive of both homemade dishes, as well as traditional dishes.

As for baking, I was searching for pineapple tarts recipe (just for fun actually) when I stumbled upon The Skinny Epicurean's blog (http://skinny-epicurean.blogspot.com/). It suddenly reminded me how much I used to love baking - taco breads for my late dad, prune butter cakes for my sister, crunchy gingerbreads and my notorious Black Death (chocolate) cookies.

In my early years, no one - NO ONE - ever wanted to eat the stuff i made, except for my loving dogs (and only one of them ate it). Along the way, I got better because I LEARNT how to read recipes. And I had more "willing" food testers. Now, I have a ready one at home, my hubby (the greedy one too), so I'm ready to start!

And the first smell for the new year - pineapple paste for pineapple tarts!

Spent 4 hours making the paste from 5.75 pineapples (2 batches) and so far so good. The taste is just what I like - tarty, not too sweet and a hint of spices (cinnamon, star anise and cloves). This tuesday I'll be making the actual tarts with my sister ... I can't wait!

Next on my list - almond cookies. Why? Because my mum loves them, and I used to make them for her (no artificial almond essence - they taste of cockroaches!).

Then maybe peanut cookes - we modified this recipe from a website and we love it! And it was my hubby who made the changes accidentally - I hope he remembers what he did!

and and ... chocolate cakes ... chocolate tarts ... and and ... oh! I should start making a list!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home