The Queen of Kitchen Disasters

As much as I love to cook and bake, I'm lazy and I'm horrid at following recipes. Together with my natural capability of clumsiness and inability of handling anything sharp, it's the perfect recipe for ... disasters.

Sunday, March 12, 2006

verdict on my kimchi

Well, finally got the chance to taste the kimchi myself and have some peace in the house - Rascal is out to attend his "life skills level 1" at West Coast Park this morning.

There are a few bit of things I wanted to post too, but I guess I'll get along to it in due time, if I remember what they are about!

Ok, verdict on my kimchi:

Good: With or without the Chinchalok it still taste GOOD - just like the kimchi you can buy off the shelves.

Bad: It's too salty - haha yes I forgot to do something while I was making it again. Although my hubby likes it a lot (and he insist that the kimchi must be COLD), I have to take into account he loves over salted food. It's strange though, I thought with the additional ingredients of the carrots, radish and chives it would reduce the saltiness from the salted veggies somewhat but it didn't. I guess adding the chinchalok also up the saltiness factor a bit. Anyhow, under salted food is a lot easier to compensate for than overly salted food!


So what did I forget to do? Only one of the kimchi recipe I've read mentioned about this and I think it's GOOD advice since I've already done it and forgot about the advice.

IMPORTANT TIP WHEN MAKING KIMCHI:

After you have finish soaking the veggies in the salt water, take a piece (the thicker part of the leaves if using the chinese cabbage or a piece of the radish if using radish) at taste it. Meaning take a bite and swirl it around in your mouth. IT SHOULD BE AS SALTY AS YOU REQUIRE IT TO BE. If it's not salty enough, soak longer.

If it's TOO salty (like my case), drain immediately, squeeze as much liquid out as possible and soak in a pot of cold fresh water. After every 10 minutes, check on it. When it's just the right saltiness, drain and proceed as directed as listed in the recipe.

Also, if you remember in my earlier post that I took it out to "ferment" out of the fridge? I left it out from Sunday night to Tuesday night in one of my cupboards - pick on room or cupboard of which no direct sunlight hits any of its wall - that should be the coolest spot than under your bed.

Then check on it time to time, release the gas if the cover (a container with a good tight lid is IMPORTANT) seems bloated outwards.

To refresh your memories, the recipe is located here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home